Hidden Veggie Pasta Sauce
This month's recipe from Sarah Moore Wellness is a 'Hidden Veggie Pasta Sauce'- a hearty meal base that’s packed full of vegetables, fibre, protein and nutrients. The best part is - no one will even notice all those veggies hiding in this delicious pasta sauce. Use to stir through pasta, as a base for bolognaise or even a pizza sauce.
Serves 6 (this recipe easily doubles to make leftovers for the freezer).
1 tbspn extra virgin olive oil
1/2 zucchini, diced
1/2 capsicum, seeded and diced
1/2 carrot, diced (skin on)
1/2 onion, peeled and diced
1 floret of cauliflower, diced
(Or, 3 cups diced veggies)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tspn dried Italian herbs
pinch of salt and pepper
1 tbspn balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup dried red lentils
400g can canned crushed tomatoes
1 cup salt-reduced vegetable stock
3/4 cup water
Wholemeal spaghetti, to serve
1. Heat a large saucepan over low heat and add the olive oil. Add the diced vegetables and cook, stirring often for 15 minutes. Vegetables should soften, but not brown.
2. Add the garlic, herbs, salt and pepper, vinegar. Stir well and cook for another 10 minutes.
3. Add the lentils, canned tomatoes, stock and water. Stir well, cover with a lid and lightly simmer (increasing the heat if required) for 20 minutes.
4. Allow sauce to cool before pouring into a blender or food processor and blitzing until smooth.
5. Return to the saucepan over low to reheat, or freeze in suitable containers. Reheat small frozen portions in the fridge and large frozen portions in saucepan over low heat.