Gut Friendly Pumpkin Soup
Who loves soup? It's definitely the weather for it! This take on the classic pumpkin soup by Sarah Moore Wellness packed with protein and gut-friendly fibre. It’s -a hearty winter warmer suitable for the whole family (chilli garnish optional).
Pumpkin, Chickpea and Coconut soup
1/2 butternut pumpkin (around 400g)
1 /2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 cup salt-reduced vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups water
165ml light coconut milk
400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 sliced red chilli, to serve (optional)
4 slices grainy toast, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C then roughly chop the pumpkin into 8 pieces. Leave the skin and seeds on as they’re easier to remove once cooked.
2. Lightly season the pumpkin with salt and pepper then roast until soft, about 30 minutes.
3. Transfer the pumpkin to a medium saucepan then add the ginger, ground coriander, stock and water. Turn into a medium heat, cover with a lid and bring to a simmer. Remove the lid and cook for 20 minutes. As it cooks, use a fork or masher to gentle break apart the pumpkin.
4. Add the coconut milk and half of the chickpeas. Gently heat through.
5. Blend the soup with a stick mixer or in a blender until smooth. Allow to cool first if using a blender.
6. Pour into individual serving bowls. Top with the remaining chickpeas and sliced chilli. Serve with warm toast.